Monday, July 23, 2012

Journal 4: Tweeting for PLN's

Ferguson, H. (2010). Join the flock. Learning and leading with technology, volume 37(8), 13-15. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Join_the_Flock.aspx

Hadley Ferguson's article provides a  chronological entry into the world of Twitter.  She also makes the suggestion that Twitter remains as the main gateway in developing Professional Learning networks ( PLN's).  Ferguson says that for her, Twitter has become a rich source of information resources.  Prior to discovering Twitter, she describes how she was often left to her own devises in getting everything from technical support to professional development.  She describes the process in methodical detail and puts emphasis on the fact that one should become completely comfortable with each step before feeling obligated to become a more active participant.  The first step is to create an account.  Ferguson discusses the profile page.  This is where a picture is posted and a brief bio is created.  She places great emphasis on makng sure the 140 characters allowed to create the profile bio, are well thought out and provide a good representation of you and your interests.  People will use this to decide if you are interesting enough to want to follow, she writes. Next, her article provides clarification on hashtags and how to use them.  The use of hashtags, helps to gain more followers thus creating a rich stream of resources in your PLN.  Ferguson's article also provides a sampling of some of her most favorite PLN resources and offers for the reader to use them as well.  Ferguson feels that if one takes the time to practice, even if it is for ten minutes a day, a person will find Twitter less intimidating and a invaluable source of information and professional networking.

I was found this article to be a comforting and normal introduction into something I was not completely clear on.  Let me explain my definition of  what "unclear" is.  Unclear for me is when all the facts, documents, explainations and rationale have been placed before me but they don't stay there.  they float around in a whirlpool, around and around and I frantically try to grasp at them.  Meanwhile, the world around my "whirlpool of unclear" is moving forward.  So, thank you to Hadley and her down to earth article which finally brought me into a state of clarity on the subject of Twitter. I participated in an #edchat discussion just the other day and as I was "lurking" about I was writing down the names of the faces and participants who came up frequently.  I did this in an effort to begin my own PLN.   I was happy to see that Ms. Ferguson had among her reccommendations of educators to follow, were two of the same people I had also identified on my own, Shelly Terrell and Tom Whitby.  In reading her article I realized that I am able to be a participant in social media and that a PLN is something I am welcome to access.  It isn't just a club for intellectual snobs nor people who wonder if Justin Beiber is getting his hair done today!  

Question 1: what efforts will I need to commit to in order to build my own PLN?

Answer:  In order to begin creating my PLN, I will need to commit a little time everyday, just as Ferguson suggested, to practicing and participating in Twitter conversations and functions.  I think that this is a key step for me to feel more confident and to become more familiar with what is out there and how people engage in Twitter conversation.  I really need practice and suggestions on creating brief messages.  I have looked for tutorials as a way to assist me with this.  When I look at this as a resource sharing tool it helps me to become more drawn and motivated to better navigate the possibilities.  it is in a sense, like learning a new language.  I think that I would also like to begin implementing it as a resource tool for my students.  It is an amzing way for them to get connections with people around the world!  By making a part of my teaching and learning model, I am also getting my own practice in.  One thought I had is if I could find a group or topic related to self awareness and advocacy for my kids.  Wouldn't it be awesome if they could connect with other kids who struggle with the same types of social/behavioral deficits and discuss and problem solve strategies together?!  I guess I have lots of work to do.  Also, I 'll need to get the A.T. guy at work to get me a decent computer.



McClintock, S. (2010). Enhance your twitter experience. Learning and leading with technology, volume 37(8), 14-17.Retrieved from www.iste.org/Libraries/...and.../June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx

Shannon McClintock's article provides her personal perception on the endless value of participating and building your own PLN.  In addition, she shares that, due to the fact that there is so much information out there, a organizational site like Hootsuite or Tweetchat is a must.  She provides a visual of how these sites work and shares a list of Twitter vocabulary terms to help people grasp access to the language of Twitter.  I will use this list in my classroom for my students and for myself.  At this point in my experience, I am not quite ready to jump into such a myriad of topics until I feel that I have good command of one.  Shannon's article helped me to understand the meaning of vocabulary I had seen earlier in my participation in #edchat conversation.  Just like any second language learner, you can ensure better success in the overall understanding of a concept, when you take the time to develop and build the tools needed, first.  I think that often, there is an assumption that because technology is so visual bright and global, there is an overall belief that it is automatically accessible.   I don't think that this is the truth at all.   Shannon's article made me realize how much I need to learn so that I can provide for my students, the opportunity to access the larger world around them and to encourage their own PLN's.

Question #2:  In what ways would it benefit students to foster their growth in developing their own PLN's?

Answer:  A large majority of the students at my site have had little exposure to anything outside their neighborhood block.  Even though the beach is less than a mile away, many of my students have never even put their feet in the ocean or walked the shore at low tide.  Experiences are what shape our thoughts perceptions and cognitive growth.  Students need to have experiences.  I see that there is a possibility, using Twitter as the vehicle, to help students access these experiences even if it is through the eyes of another person.  However, what if a student from Bishop California were to Tweet about his experiences of hiking through the Sierra Nevadas.  Maybe by reading this and seeing pictures, a student would become motivated to have that experience for him/herself.   The beauty of a PLN for a student, is that it becomes a global network of like peers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment